The following 27 bible study lessons come from AmazingFacts.org
The first 3 questions and answers in full of each lesson are included along with a preview of the remaining questions & a link to each study at Amazing Facts. There is no cost involved and no sign-ups required to view the lessons in full.
If you would like to have personal/group studies over lunch covering any of these lessons, we have lunch after our church service at about 1pm on Saturdays.
1. Is There Anything Left You Can Trust?
In these morally challenged times – when billions are embezzled through corporate fraud when trusted, spiritual leaders prove false when lying in politics seems to be the norm when those you depend on the most often hurt you the deepest – is there anything left you can trust? Yes! You can fully trust the Bible! Why? Just take a look at the evidence…
The Bible says, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God.” 2 Timothy 3:16. “Prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” 2 Peter 1:21. “The scripture cannot be broken.” John 10:35.
Answer: It claims to be inspired. It was written by men who were guided by the Holy Ghost. It cannot be broken or proved untrue.
Jesus said, “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone.” “It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.” “It is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” Matthew 4:4, 7, 10. “Thy word is truth.” John 17:17.
Answer: Jesus quoted Scripture when meeting the temptations of Satan. He also stated that the Bible is truth John 17:17. Jesus often quoted Scripture as authority for the truth He was teaching.
The Bible says, “I am the Lord . . . new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.” Isaiah 42:8, 9. “I am God . . . Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done.” Isaiah 46:9, 10.
Answer: Bible predictions of things to happen in the future confirm the inspiration of Scripture as they come to pass. Notice the following examples of fulfilled Bible prophecies:
1. Four world empires to arise: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome Daniel chapters 2, 7, 8.
2. Cyrus to be the warrior to capture Babylon Isaiah 45:1-3.
3. After Babylon’s destruction, it would never be inhabited again Isaiah 13:19, 20 Jeremiah 51:37.
4. Egypt would never again have a commanding position among the nations Ezekiel 29:14, 15 30:12, 13.
5. Earth-shaking calamities and fear toward the end of time Luke 21:25, 26.
6. Moral degeneracy and decline of spirituality in the last days 2 Timothy 3:1-5.
4. Can we expect scientific statements made in the Bible to be accurate?
5. Are biblical health principles tuned to the twenty-first century mind?
6. Are the historical statements of the Bible accurate?
7. One of the greatest miracles of the Bible is its unity. Please ponder the following amazing facts …
8. What evidence of Bible inspiration is found in the lives of people?
9. What evidence for Bible inspiration emerges when we compare Old Testament prophecies of the coming Messiah with New Testament happenings in the life of Jesus?
10. What great advantage does a person have who accepts the Bible as God’s inspired word?
11. What crucial world happenings have brought the power and appeal of the Bible into sharp focus?
12. Why does the Bible have such universal appeal?
Continue this Study – English
2. Did God Create the Devil?
Most people in the world are being deceived by an evil genius bent on destroying their lives – a brilliant mastermind called the devil, or Satan. But this dark prince is much more than what you might think… many say he’s just a devious mythical figure, but the Bible says he’s very real, and he’s deceiving families, churches, and even nations to increase sorrow and pain. Here are the Bible’s amazing facts about this prince of darkness and how you can overcome him!
“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!” Isaiah 14:12. Jesus said, “I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.” Luke 10:18. “Thou wast upon the holy mountain of God.” Ezekiel 28:14.
Answer: His name was Lucifer, and he was living in heaven. Lucifer is symbolized by the king of Babylon in Isaiah 14 and as the king of Tyrus in Ezekiel 28.
“Thou wast created.” Ezekiel 28:13, 15. “Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth.” Ezekiel 28:14. “Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty … every precious stone was thy covering … the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. … Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.” Ezekiel 28:12-15.
Answer: Lucifer was created by God, as were all other angels (Ephesians 3:9). Lucifer was a “covering” cherub, or angel. One great angel stands on the left side of God’s throne and another on the right (Psalms 99:1). Lucifer was one of those highly exalted angel leaders. Lucifer’s beauty was flawless and breathtaking. His wisdom was perfect. His brightness was awe-inspiring. Ezekiel 28:13 seems to indicate that his throat was specially prepared to make him an outstanding musician. Some think he led the angelic choir.
4. What happened in Lucifer’s life that led him to sin? What blasphemous sin did he then commit?
5. What happened in heaven as a consequence of Lucifer’s rebellion?
6. Where is Satan’s present headquarters? How does he feel about people?
7. When God created Adam and Eve, what one thing did He forbid them to do? What was to be the penalty for disobedience?
8. What medium did Satan use to deceive Eve? What lies did Satan tell her?
9. Was eating a piece of fruit such a bad thing? Why were Adam and Eve removed from the garden?
10. What amazing facts does the Bible reveal regarding Satan’s methods to hurt, deceive, discourage, and destroy people?
11. How powerful and effective are Satan’s temptations and strategies?
12. When and where will the devil receive his punishment? What will that punishment be?
Continue this Study – English
3. Saved from Certain Death (Salvation)
Picture the horror of being stranded in an ocean with hungry, deadly sharks closing in! Then imagine how grateful and relieved you’d feel to be plucked to safety. The truth is, every person on the planet is lost in an ocean fraught with danger. We urgently need rescue, not from a boat or helicopter, but from our Heavenly Father. God loves you, so much that He sent His Son to save you. You’ve undoubtedly heard all this before, but are you sure you really understand what it’s all about? What does it really mean to you, and can it really change your life? Read on and find out!
This is what He says: “Thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee.” Isaiah 43:4. “Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love.” Jeremiah 31:3.
Answer: God’s never-ending love for you and me is far beyond our understanding. He loves you as though you were the only lost soul in the universe. He would have given His life for you or me even if there had been no other sinner to redeem. Try never to forget this fact. You are precious in His sight. He loves you.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16. “In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” 1 John 4:9, 10.
Answer: Because He loved us so deeply, He was willing to see His only Son suffer and die rather than be separated from you and me for eternity. We will not be able to understand it, but He did it–just for you, just for me!
“But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8.
Answer: Certainly not because I earned it or deserved it. Not one of us has earned anything except the wages of sin, which is death (Romans 6:23). But God’s love is unconditional. He loves the thieves, adulterers, and murderers. He also loves the selfish, the hypocritical, and the profane blasphemer. But, greatest of all, He loves me! And because He knows that my sins can lead only to misery and death, He wants to save me from my sins. That’s why He died.
5. How do I receive Him and pass from death to life?
6. What must I do in order to obtain this gift of salvation?
7. When I join His family through faith, what change does Jesus make in my life?
8. Will this changed life really be happier than the pleasures of the old life?
9. But can I make myself do all the things a Christian should do?
10. Do you mean that even the Ten Commandments would not be hard to obey?
11. How can I be certain that the commandment-keeping mentioned of God’s people in the Bible is not legalism?
12. What significant act seals the love relationship with Christ, and what does it symbolize?
13. How can I be certain that the faith and love of my marriage to Christ will continue to increase?
4. A Colossal City in Space (Heaven)
Talk about a great city! New York, Tokyo, and London are nothing in comparison! Just wait until you grasp the amazing facts about this gigantic city that can travel through space. It’s all fact, not science fiction! The information in this Study Guide will thrill your soul and give you hope for the future.
“Wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.” Hebrews 11:16.
Answer: The Bible declares that God is building a great city for His people. And this city is as real and literal as any you have ever known.
“And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven.” Revelation 21:2. “O Lord my God … hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place.” 1 Kings 8:28-30.
Answer: This great city that is being constructed is, at this moment, in far outer space in God’s dwelling place, which is called heaven.
Answer: (A) SIZE
“The city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs.” Revelation 21:16. The city is perfectly square. Its perimeter is 12,000 furlongs, or 1,500 miles (a furlong is 1/8 mile). It is 375 miles long on each side.
The city is called “new Jerusalem” in Revelation 21:2.
“And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits. … And the building of the wall of it was of jasper.” Revelation 21:17, 18. A wall 144 cubits, or 216 feet high (a cubit is 18 inches), surrounds the city. The wall is made of solid jasper, with radiance and beauty beyond description. Think of it! Nearly 20 stories high and solid jasper!
“And had twelve gates … On the east three gates on the north three gates on the south three gates and on the west three gates.” And the twelve gates were twelve pearls: every several gate was of one pearl.” Revelation 21:12, 13, 21. The city has 12 gates- three on each side – each one made of a single pearl.
“The wall of the city had twelve foundations … garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper the second, sapphire the third, a chalcedony the fourth, an emerald The fifth, sardonyx the sixth, sardius the seventh, chrysolyte the eighth, beryl the ninth, a topaz the tenth, a chrysoprasus the eleventh, a jacinth the twelfth, an amethyst.” Revelation 21:14-20. The city has 12 full, complete foundations each one made of precious stone. Every color of the rainbow will be represented, so at a distance the city will no doubt appear to be resting upon a rainbow.
“The street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.” Revelation 21:21.
“The holy city, … prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.” “Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal.” “The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal [proportionate].” Revelation 21:2, 11, 16. The city, with all of its precious stones, gold, and shimmering beauty, will be lighted with the glory of God. In its breathtaking majesty and purity it is compared to “a bride adorned for her husband.”
5. Is it true that this amazing city will descend to this earth?
6. What will happen to sin and sinners?
7. What refreshing, thrilling promises does God make to the people who enter His new kingdom?
8. How will the new earth differ from our earth today?
9. Will there be children in God’s kingdom? If so, will they grow up?
10. When reunited with loved ones in heaven, will the saved know each other?
11. Will people in heaven be real, with flesh and bones?
12. How will the righteous spend their time in the heavenly kingdom?
13. In what other thrilling activites will the redeemed participate?
14. Can feeble human language really describe the glories of the heavenly home?
15. Is this kingdom being prepared for me personally?
16. How can I be assured of a place in that great and glorious kingdom?
5. Keys for a Happy Marriage
As you’ve probably heard, nearly half of all marriages now end in divorce, leaving bitter spouses and confused children in their wake. Don’t let this happen to you! Whether your marriage is going through tough times or is experiencing marital bliss, or even if you’re not yet married but considering it, here’s some free but proven advice to help your marriage last. It’s straight from God, the one who created and ordained marriage! If you’ve tried everything else, why not give God a chance? Follow the keys in this guide, and you can secure your home.
Seventeen Rules for a Happy Marriage From God’s Great Book
“Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.” Genesis 2:24.
Answer: God’s rule is specific. A married couple must leave father and mother and establish their own home, even if finances require that it be a one-room apartment. Husband and wife should decide together on such policies as these. Then she should inform her relatives and he, his. They must remain firm no matter who opposes. Thousands of divorces would be avoided if this rule were carefully followed.
“Above all hold unfailing your love for one another, since love covers a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8, RSV.* “Her husband … praiseth her.” Proverbs 31:28. “She that is married careth … how she may please her husband.” 1 Corinthians 7:34. “Be kindly affectioned one to another … in honour preferring one another.” Romans 12:10.
Answer: Continue (or perhaps revive) the courtesies of courtship in your married life. Successful marriages do not just happen they must be developed. Don’t take each other for granted, or the monotony that results will destroy your marriage. Keep love growing by expressing love for one another or it will die, and you will drift apart. Love and happiness are not found by seeking them for yourself, but rather by giving them to others. So spend as much time as possible doing things together if you would get along well. Learn to greet each other with enthusiasm. Relax, visit, shop, sightsee, eat together. Don’t overlook the little courtesies, encouragements, and affectionate acts. Surprise each other with little gifts or favors. Try to “outlove” each other. Don’t take more out of marriage than you put into it. Divorce itself is not the greatest destroyer of marriage, but rather, lack of love. Given a chance, love always wins.
*The Revised Standard Version of the Bible, (C) 1946, 1952, 1971 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission.
“For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife. … Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.” Matthew 19:5, 6.
Answer: Has love almost disappeared from your home? The devil (that notorious home-breaker) is responsible for this. Don’t forget that God Himself joined you together in marriage, and He intends for you to stay together and be happy. He will bring happiness and love into your lives if you will obey His divine rules (commandments). “With God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26. Don’t despair. God, who places love in the heart of a missionary for a leprous savage, can easily give you love for each other if you will let Him.
5. Never retire for the night angry with each other.
6. Keep Christ in the center of your home.
7. Pray together.
8. Agree that divorce is not the answer.
9. Keep the family circle closed tightly.
10. God describes love; make it your daily goal to measure up.
11. Remember that criticism and nagging destroy love.
12. Do not overdo in anything; be temperate.
13. Respect each other’s personal rights and privacies.
14. Be clean, modest, orderly, and dutiful.
15. Determine to speak softly and kindly.
16. Be reasonable in money matters.
17. Talk things over and counsel together freely.
6. Written in Stone (the Ten Commandments)
Centuries ago, God wrote His law in stone, and you’re still supposed to keep it today! It’s absolutely true that violating any part of God’s law always brings negative consequences. As crime overruns our cities, doesn’t it make sense that for peace and safety we need to obey the laws of the land? Well, this same principle applies with God’s law – the Ten Commandments – in our own lives too! They aren’t called the ten suggestions, ten recommendations, or the ten greatest ideas. Since so much is at stake, you should take a few minutes to seriously consider your responsibility.
“And he gave unto Moses … two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.” “And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables.” Exodus 31:18; 32:16.
Answer: Yes, the great God of heaven wrote the Ten Commandments on tables of stone with His own finger.
“Sin is the transgression of the law.” 1 John 3:4.
Answer: Sin is breaking God’s Ten Commandment law. And since the law of God is perfect (Psalms 19:7), it covers every conceivable sin. It is impossible to commit a sin that is not condemned by at least one of God’s Ten Commandments. The commandments cover “the whole duty of man.” Ecclesiastes 12:13. Nothing is left out.
“He that keepeth the law, happy is he.” Proverbs 29:18. “Keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.” Proverbs 3:1, 2.
Answer: A. As a guide for happy, abundant living.
God created us to enjoy happiness, peace, long life, contentment, accomplishment, and all the other great blessings for which our hearts long. God’s law is the road map that points out the right paths to follow in order to find this true, supreme happiness.
“By the law is the knowledge of sin.” Romans 3:20. “I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.” Romans 7:7.
God’s law is like a mirror (James 1:23-25). It points out wrongdoing in my life as a mirror points out dirt on my face. The only possible way for a person to know if he is sinning is for him to carefully check his life by the mirror of God’s law. Hope for this mixed-up, sinking generation is found in God’s Ten Commandment law. It tells where to draw the line!
“And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes [commandments] … for our good always.” Deuteronomy 6:24. “Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually. Thou hast trodden down all them that err from thy statutes.” Psalms 119:117, 118.
God’s law is like a strong cage at the zoo, which protects us from fierce, destructive animals. It protects us from impurity, falsehood, murder, idolatry, theft, and many other evils that destroy life, peace, and happiness. All good laws protect, and God’s law is no exception.
Special Note: The eternal principles of God’s law are written deep in every person’s nature by the God who created us. The writing may be dim and smudged, but it is still there. This means, of course, that you cannot find true peace unless you are willing to live in harmony with your inner nature, upon which God has written these principles. We were created to live in harmony with them. When we choose to ignore them, the result is always tension, unrest, and tragedy, just as ignoring the rules for safe driving leads to serious trouble.
5. Can God’s law (the Ten Commandments) ever be changed or abolished?
6. Did Jesus abolish God’s law while He was here on Earth?
7. Will people who knowingly continue to break even one of God’s commandments be saved?
8. Can anyone be saved by keeping the law?
9. Why, then, is the law an absolute essential for perfecting Christian character?
10. What enables a truly converted Christian to follow the pattern of God’s law?
11. But isn’t a Christian who has faith and is living under grace freed from keeping the law?
12. Are the Ten Commandments of God reaffirmed in the New Testament?
13. Are God’s law and Moses’ law the same?
14. How does the devil feel about the people who pattern their lives after God’s Ten Commandments?
7. The Lost Day of History (the Sabbath)
Did you know there is a very important day that almost everyone has forgotten about? It’s astounding that only a few people are aware of it, because it’s one of the most significant days in all of human history! It’s not only a day in the past, but the present and future. Furthermore, what happened on this neglected day can have a profound effect on your life. Want to know more amazing facts about this lost day of history? Then read over this Study Guide carefully.
“And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.” Luke 4:16.
Answer: Jesus’ custom was to worship on the Sabbath.
“The seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God.” Exodus 20:10. “And when the sabbath was past, …very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre.” Mark 16:1, 2.
Answer: The Sabbath is not the first day of the week (Sunday), as many believe, but the seventh day (Saturday). Notice from the above Scripture that the Sabbath is the day that comes just before the first day of the week.
“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” “And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it.” Genesis 1:1; 2:2, 3.
Answer: God made the Sabbath at the time of Creation, when He made the world. He rested on the Sabbath and blessed and sanctified it (set it apart for a holy use).
4. What does God say about Sabbathkeeping in the Ten Commandments, which He wrote with His own finger?
5. But haven’t the Ten Commandments been changed?
6. Did the apostles keep the Sabbath?
7. Did the Gentiles also worship on Sabbath?
8. But wasn’t the Sabbath changed to Sunday at Christ’s death or resurrection?
9. Some people say the Sabbath will be kept in God’s new earth. Is this correct?
10. But isn’t Sunday the Lord’s day?
11. Shouldn’t I keep Sunday in honor of Christ’s resurrection?
12. Well, if Sundaykeeping isn’t in the Bible, whose idea was it anyway?
13. But isn’t it very dangerous to tamper with God’s law?
14. Why did God make the Sabbath anyway?
15. How important is Sabbathkeeping?
16. How does God feel about religious leaders who ignore the Sabbath?
17. Does Sabbathkeeping really affect me personally?
8. Ultimate Deliverance (the Second Coming of Jesus)
It’s no fairytale – one day, you can be free from all the hurt, hunger, aloneness, crime, and chaos infecting the world today. Doesn’t that sound wonderful? But it’s not going to be some charismatic earthly leader who’s going to deliver you… no, He’s much more superior than that! Jesus is coming soon, but there is a lot of popular misconceptions regarding just how He’s coming. So take a few minutes to understand what the Bible really says about the second coming so you won’t be left behind!
“Christ … shall … appear the second time.” Hebrews 9:28.
“If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again.” John 14:3.
Answer: Yes! In Matthew 26:64, Jesus testified under oath that He would come back to this earth again. Since the Scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35), this is proof positive. Believe it just as it reads. It is Christ’s own personal guarantee.
“While they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.” Acts 1:9-11.
Answer: The Scriptures promise that Jesus will return to this earth in the same manner that He left at His ascension–in a visible, literal, bodily, personal manner. Matthew 24:30 says, “They shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.” He will come in the clouds literally, as a personal being with a body of flesh and bones (Luke 24:36-43, 50, 51), and His coming will be visible. Scripture is clear on these facts.
“Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him.” Revelation 1:7.
“For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” Matthew 24:27.
Answer: Every man, woman, and child living in the world when Jesus returns will see Him at His second coming. The staggering threefold (Luke 9:26) brightness of His coming will stretch from horizon to horizon, and the atmosphere will be charged with brilliant glory like lightning. No one will be able to hide. Every living soul will be forced to face Christ. Christ left no loophole for doubt or misunderstanding.
Note: The secret rapture so commonly believed and taught today is not in the Bible. It is a human invention. Nor is the second coming a spiritual coming into the heart at conversion. It does not take place at a man’s death, nor is it figurative, to be manifested by better world conditions. These theories are all of human origin. The second coming will be a literal, worldwide, visible, personal appearance of Christ in the clouds to bring this world to an end and to reward or punish all men and women.
5. What is the purpose of Jesus’ second coming to this earth?
6. What will happen to the righteous people when Jesus comes the second time?
7. What will happen to the wicked people when Jesus comes again?
8. How will Christ’s second coming affect the earth itself?
9. Does the Bible give specific information regarding the nearness of Christ’s second coming?
10. How may we know when we have reached the very last days of Earth’s history? Does the Bible clearly describe the world and its people in the last generation?
11. Just how near is the Lord’s second coming?
12. Satan is telling many falsehoods regarding the second coming of Christ and, with lying wonders and miracles, will deceive millions. How can I be certain I will not be deceived?
13. How can I be certain to be ready when Jesus comes back?
14. Of what great danger does Christ solemnly warn?
9. Purity & Power (Baptism)
Are you tired of hurting your loved ones and wounding your conscience? Do you live in constant regret for your past mistakes? Have you ever wished you could take a bath and come out clean inside and out? Then we have great news for you… you can! God has a plan that can totally wash all your sins away and supercharge your character – preposterous? Not at all! Christ says, “We are buried with him by baptism” (Romans 6:4). When you accept Christ, the old life dies and the Lord promises to forget all our sins! Not only that, He can help you overcome every sinful habit in your life. Did you know the cross is mentioned 28 times in the Bible, but baptism is mentioned 97 times? It must be pretty important then, and no wonder, because it signifies a new life with the haunting, sinful past buried and forgotten forever. Read the Bible’s amazing facts on this incredible subject… you’ll never be the same!
This verse makes it clear that baptism is necessary for salvation.
“He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.” Mark 16:16.
Answer: Yes, indeed! How could any language or words make it plainer?
“For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.” Psalms 103:14.
Answer: Neither did he restore what he had stolen, as the Lord specifically directs in Ezekiel 33:15. God holds us accountable for what we can do, but He also recognizes the limitations of “dust.” He will not require a physical impossibility. Could the thief have come down from the cross, he immediately would have been baptized. This is the only example in the Bible of an exception to this rule. God wanted to make certain that no one would be presumptuous in refusing baptism.
“One Lord, one faith, one baptism.” Ephesians 4:5.
Answer: No! There is only one true baptism. All other so-called baptisms are counterfeits.
Note: The devil’s “buffet” plan for baptism says, “Take your pick. The method of baptism doesn’t matter. It is the spirit that counts.” But the Bible says, “One Lord, one faith, one baptism.” Ephesians 4:5. It also says, “Obey, I beseech thee, the voice of the Lord.” Jeremiah 38:20.
5. But didn’t the disciples or the apostles change the method of baptism?
6. Since Jesus and the disciples baptized by immersion, who introduced these other so-called baptisms which exist today?
7. What must a person do to prepare for baptism?
8. What is the meaning of baptism?
9. But a person shouldn’t be baptized until he is certain he will never slip and fall, should he?
10. Why is baptism an urgent matter for a converted sinner?
11. How long does it take to prepare for baptism?
12. How does God feel about the baptism of a converted person?
13. Can a person experience true baptism without becoming a member of God’s church?
14. Notice four things that baptism does not do …
10. Are the Dead Really Dead? (the State of the Dead)
Death just might be one of the most misunderstood subjects today. To many it is enshrouded in mystery and evokes dreaded feelings of fear, uncertainty, and even hopelessness. Others believe that their deceased loved ones are not dead at all, but instead live with them or in other realms! Still others are confused about the relationship between the body, spirit, and soul. But does it really matter what you believe? Yes… absolutely! Because what you believe about the dead will have a profound impact on what happens to you in the end-times. There’s no room for guessing, so this Study Guide will give you exactly what God says on this subject. Get ready for a real eye-opener!
“And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.” Genesis 2:7.
Answer: God made us from dust in the beginning.
“Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.” Ecclesiastes 12:7.
Answer: The body turns to dust again, and the spirit goes back to God, who gave it. The spirit of every person who dies–whether righteous or wicked–returns to God at death.
“The body without the spirit [“breath,” see margin] is dead.” James 2:26. “The spirit of God [“the breath which God gave him,” see margin] is in my nostrils.” Job 27:3.
Answer: The spirit that returns to God at death is the breath of life. Nowhere in all of God’s book does the “spirit” have any life, wisdom, or feeling after a person dies. It is the “breath of life” and nothing more.
5. Do souls die?
6. Do good people go to heaven when they die?
7. How much does one know or comprehend after death?
8. But can’t the dead communicate with the living, and aren’t they aware of what the living are doing?
9. Jesus called the unconscious state of the dead “sleep” in John 11:11-14. How long will they sleep?
10. What happens to the righteous dead at the second coming of Christ?
11. What was the devil’s first lie?
12. Why did the devil lie to Eve about death? Could this subject be more important than many think?
13. Do devils really work miracles?
14. Why will God’s people not be deceived?
15. Back in Moses’ day, what did God command should be done to people who taught that the dead were alive?
16. Will the righteous people who are raised in the resurrection ever die again?
17. Belief in reincarnation is expanding rapidly today. Is this teaching biblical?
11. Is the Devil in Charge of Hell? (Hell)
Well? Does God really keep the devil on His payroll – is he the chief superintendent of hell measuring out the punishment of the lost? Nearly the entire world holds a very unbiblical view about hell, and you owe it to yourself to know what the Bible really says about it. Don’t be fooled, because what you think about hell certainly affects what you think about God’s character! Take a few moments to get the amazing facts you need to know today!
“The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished.” 2 Peter 2:9.
Answer: There is not one single soul in hellfire today. The Bible says that God reserves, or holds back, the wicked until the day of judgment to be punished.
“So shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire.” Matthew 13:40-42. “The word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.” John 12:48.
Answer: Sinners will be cast into hellfire at the great judgment day at the end of the world–not when they die. God would not punish a person in fire until his case was tried and decided in court at the end of the world. Nor would God burn a murderer who died 5,000 years ago 5,000 years longer than one who dies and deserves punishment for the same sin today.
“The hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” John 5:28, 29. “The wicked is reserved to the day of destruction.” “Yet shall he be brought to the grave, and shall remain in the tomb.” Job 21:30, 32.
Answer: The Bible is specific. Both the wicked and the righteous who have died are in their graves “sleeping” until the resurrection day.
5. What will happen to the wicked in hellfire?
6. When and how will hellfire be kindled?
7. How big and how hot will hellfire be?
8. How long will the wicked suffer in the fire?
9. Will the fire eventually go out?
10. What will be left when the fire goes out?
11. Will the wicked enter hell in bodily form and be destroyed both soul and body?
12. Will the devil be in charge of hellfire?
13. Does the word “hell” as used in the Bible always refer to a place of burning or punishment?
14. What is God’s real purpose in hellfire?
15. Isn’t the work of destroying sinners foreign to God’s nature?
16. What are God’s post-hell plans for the earth and His people?
12. 1000 Years of Peace (the Millennium)
You can be certain that it’s coming – an incredible millennium that will be ushered in after Christ’s return. And the devil doesn’t want you to know about his 1,000-year prison sentence because it reveals his true character. In fact, Satan has concocted a counterfeit message on the millennium to trick you! It’s an awesome, fascinating study that will utterly shake everything you’ve ever known! Now you can have the Bible’s amazing truths about the coming 1,000-year reign.
“These came to life again and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.” Revelation 20:4, NEB, last part of verse.*
Answer: A resurrection begins the 1,000-year period.
*The New English Bible, (C) 1961, 1970 by the Delegates of the Oxford University Press and the Syndics of the Cambridge University Press. Used by permission.
The 1000-year period begins at the resurrection of the righteous.
“This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection.” Revelation 20:5, 6.
Answer: It is called the first resurrection. The righteous people–“blessed and holy” of all ages–will be raised in it.
The 1000-year period ends at the resurrection of the wicked.
“The rest of the dead [those who were wicked] lived not again until the thousand years were finished.” Revelation 20:5. “All that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” John 5:28, 29.
Answer: The second resurrection takes place at the close of the 1,000-year period. The wicked will be raised in this resurrection. It is called the resurrection of damnation.
Please notice: The resurrection of the righteous begins the 1,000 years. The resurrection of the wicked ends the 1,000 years.
5. What happens to the wicked—living and dead—at Jesus’ second coming?
6. Many believe the unsaved will have an opportunity to repent during the 1,000 years. What does the Bible say about this?
7. The Bible says that Satan will be bound in the bottomless pit during the 1,000 years. What is this pit?
8. What is the chain that binds Satan? Why is he bound?
9. Revelation 20:4 says there will be a judgment in heaven during the 1,000 years. What for? Who will participate?
10. At the close of the 1,000 years the holy city, New Jerusalem, will come down from heaven to this earth. Who will come with it? Where will it settle?
11. What will happen to the wicked dead at this time? How will this affect Satan?
12. What will Satan do then?
13. What will interrupt Satan’s plan to capture or destroy the city?
14. When the wicked are burned up and the fire goes out, what glorious, thrilling event will take place next?
13. God’s Free Health Plan
Great medical care is priceless – but wouldn’t it be great if we didn’t need doctors anymore? Did you know there is a proven way to put a lot of doctors out of work? Take care of your body! Scientists have sounded the ominus warnings about cholesterol, tobacco, stress, obesity, and alcohol, so why press your luck? Hospitals and psychiatric institutions are packed with people who have ignored the warnings – do you really want to join them? God truly cares how you treat your body, and He’s given you a free health plan, and a manual to go by… the Bible! For amazing facts about how you can have abundant health and longer life, look over this Study Guide – but be sure to read it all before jumping to conclusions!
“Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.” 3 John 2.
Answer: Yes. In fact, the Bible rates health right near the top of the list in importance. Man’s mind, spiritual nature, and body are all interrelated and interdependent. What affects one affects the other. If our bodies are misused, our minds and spiritual natures cannot become what God ordained they should.
“And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes … for our good always, that he might preserve us alive.” Deuteronomy 6:24. “And ye shall serve the Lord your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.” Exodus 23:25.
Answer: God gave health rules because He knows what is best for the human body. Automobile manufacturers place an “operations manual” in the glove compartment of each new car because they know what is best for their product. God, who made our bodies, also has an “operations manual.” It is called the Holy Bible. Ignoring God’s “operations manual” results in disease, twisted thinking, and burned-out lives, just as abusing a car (against the manufacturer’s counsel) results in serious car trouble. Following God’s rules results in “saving health” (Psalms 67:2) and more abundant life (John 10:10). These great health laws are like a wall or fence to keep out the diseases of Satan. God tells us what these rules are so we can avoid the devil’s traps.
“Eat ye that which is good.” Isaiah 55:2. “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31.
Answer: Yes, a Christian will even eat and drink differently, all to the glory of God, using only “that which is good.” If God says a thing is not fit to eat, He must have a good reason. He is not a harsh dictator, but a loving Father. All His counsel is for our good always. The Bible promises: “No good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.” Psalms 84:11. So if God withholds a thing from us, it is because it is not good.
Note: No person can eat his way into heaven. Eating even the food of angels will not entitle people to paradise. Only acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour can do that. Ignoring God’s health laws, however, may cause a person to be lost, because it will ruin his judgment and cause him to sin.
5. What items are specifically mentioned by God as being unclean and forbidden?
6. But I like pork. Will God destroy me if I eat it?
7. But didn’t this law of clean and unclean animals originate at Sinai? Wasn’t it for the Jews only, and didn’t it end at the cross?
8. Does the Bible forbid the use of alcoholic beverages?
9. Does the Bible condemn the use of tobacco?
10. What are some of the simple, yet very important, health laws found in the Bible?
11. What solemn reminder is given to those who ignore God’s rules?
12. What fearful, shocking truth about health involves our children and grandchildren?
13. What more fearful, sobering fact does God’s Word reveal?
14. What should every sincere Christian endeavor to do at once?
15. But I’m worried because some of my evil habits have bound me so tightly. What can I do?
16. What thrilling promises are given about God’s new kingdom?
14. Is Obedience Legalism
People might feel like they can get away with violating a traffic law or cheating on their taxes, but God and His laws work much differently. God sees everything we do, hears everything we say, and He really does care about how we behave. While the Lord offers forgiveness for our sins, there still are deadly consequences for breaking God’s law. Amazingly, some Christians say any attempt to obey God’s law amounts to legalism. Yet Jesus said if you really love God, you’ll do what He asks. So is obedience legalism? Take time to read this Study Guide carefully… eternal consequences are at stake!
“Thou God seest me.” Genesis 16:13. “O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou … art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.” Psalms 139:1-4. “But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.” Luke 12:7.
Answer: Yes, God knows each one of us (every person on earth) better than we know ourselves. He takes a personal interest in every human being and carefully watches all that we do. Not one word, thought, or deed is hidden from Him.
“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” Matthew 7:21. “If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. ” Matthew 19:17. “He became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.” Hebrews 5:9.
Answer: No! Scripture is very clear on this point. Salvation and the kingdom of heaven are for those who obey the Lord’s commands. God does not promise eternal life to those who merely make a profession of faith or are church members or are baptized, but rather to those who do His will, which is revealed in Scripture. Of course, this obedience is possible only through Christ (Acts 4:12).
“Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” Matthew 7:14. ” But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.” Proverbs 8:36. “And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the Lord our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive.” Deuteronomy 6:24.
Answer: Because there is only one narrow path that leads to godlikeness, and thus to His kingdom. All roads do not lead to the same place. The Bible is the map and guidebook with full instructions, warnings, and information on how to safely reach that kingdom. To disregard any part of it leads away from God and His kingdom. The universe of God is a universe of law and order. Natural, moral, and spiritual laws are involved. Breaking any of these laws always has certain fixed results. If the Bible had not been given, people would sooner or later have discovered (by trial and error) that the great principles of the Bible exist and are true.
These Bible principles are written in our nervous systems, glands, and minds. When ignored, they result in shattered nerves, disease, and unhappiness of every kind. So the words of the Bible are not merely advice which we can accept or ignore without consequences. The Bible tells what these consequences are and explains how to avoid them. A person cannot live any way he wishes and still become godlike any more than a builder can ignore the blueprints for a house without running into trouble. This is why God asks all to follow the blueprint of the Holy Scripture. There is no other way to become like Him and thus be fitted for a place in His kingdom. And there is no other way to true happiness.
5. Will God actually destroy the disobedient?
6. I want to obey all of God’s rules. How can I be certain I will not overlook one?
7. Does God count me guilty for disobeying Bible truth that has never been made clear to me?
8. But God isn’t particular about obedience on every point and in small details, is He?
9. When I discover new truth, I wait until all obstacles are removed before embracing it. This is best, isn’t it?
10. But isn’t full obedience an impossibility for a human being?
11. What will happen to a person who willfully and knowingly continues in disobedience?
12. I thought love was more important than obedience. Isn’t it?
13. But I always thought that true freedom in Christ released me from obedience. Doesn’t it?
14. When I believe God requires a certain thing, should I obey even though I do not understand why He requires it?
15. Who is really behind all disobedience, and why?
15. Who is the Antichrist?
Who, or what, is the Antichrist? Evil alliance, or sinister individual? Some say his appearance is still in the future. Others say he appeared long ago in the days of ancient Rome. But the Bible indicates that he is alive today! The Bible prophecies teach this antichrist power will play a crucial role in the final events of earth’s history. Do you know who he is? Are you sure? You need to be, for you can’t understand last-day events until you understand this evil power. Be prepared for one of the most intriguing Study Guides yet!
This Study Guide, based on Daniel chapter 7, clearly and unmistakably identifies the Antichrist. But it is only an introduction. Future lessons will reveal details of some of his activities that will have worldwide impact. What you discover today may displease or sadden you, but please remember that the prophecy of Daniel chapter 7 comes from Jesus, who loves you. Pray for God’s guidance as you delve into this urgent subject. Be sure to read Daniel 7 before studying this guide.
“The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon the earth.” Daniel 7:23. “The waters … are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.” Revelation 17:15.
Answer: Beasts represent kingdoms or nations. Water represents multitudes of people or large populations.
2. The four beasts of Daniel 7 represent the four world kingdoms (verses 17, 18). Babylon, the first kingdom (Daniel 2:38, 39), is represented as a lion in Daniel 7:4. (See also Jeremiah 4:7 50:17, 43, 44 for Babylon pictured as a lion elsewhere.) What do the eagle's wings mean? What do the four winds of verse 2 represent?
“The Lord shall bring a nation against thee … as swift as the eagle flieth.” Deuteronomy 28:49.
“Thus saith the Lord of hosts, … a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth. And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth.” Jeremiah 25:32, 33.
Answer: The wings of eagles represent speed.
(See also Jeremiah 4:13; Habakkuk 1:6-9.) Winds represent strife, commotion, and destruction. (See also Revelation 7:1-3.)
Answer: Read Daniel 8. Notice that the beasts in chapter 8 parallel those in chapter 7. Daniel 8:20 specifically names Medo-Persia as the kingdom that precedes the rough goat, or Greece, of verse 21. It is the second world kingdom, the same power as the bear of Daniel 7. The empire was made up of two groups of people.
The Medes came up first (represented in Daniel 7:5 by the bear coming up on one side), but the Persians eventually became stronger (represented in Daniel 8:3 by the ram’s second horn which grew “higher,” or taller). The three ribs represent the three principal powers conquered by Medo-Persia:
Lydia, Babylon, and Egypt.
5. The Roman Empire, the fourth world kingdom, is represented by a horrible monster with iron teeth and 10 horns (Daniel 7:7). What do the horns represent?
6. In the Daniel 7 prophecy, what happens next?
7. Are there clear points of identification?
8. Does the papacy fit these points?
9. Wasn’t Daniel told to seal up his book until “the time of the end”? (Daniel 12:4) When will Daniel’s prophecies be opened to our understanding?
10. Many Christians today have been tragically misinformed regarding the antichrist. To believe an untruth about the antichrist could easily cause a person to be deceived and lost. What should a person do when new Bible teachings are encountered?
16. Angel Messages From Outer Space
Angels are real! Sometimes called cherubim or seraphim, these powerful ministering spirits appear all through Bible history. Often they are seen protecting and guiding God’s people, and sometimes punishing evil – but one of their most important missions is to reveal and explain prophecy. Did you know God has said something special through His angels to the stressed out people of our hectic world? In Revelation 14, God reveals some awesome last-day messages coded in the symbolism of three flying angels. So significant are these messages, that when they are completed, Jesus returns! This Guide will give you an eye-opening overview, and the following eight guides will present the incredible details. Hold on to your seat… God’s personal message to you is about to be explained!
Answer: There are six crucial reasons to study Revelation:
A. It never has been sealed (Revelation 22:10). The age long controversy between Christ and Satan, plus the devil’s strategies and last-day devious plans, are exposed in Revelation. Satan cannot easily trap people who are aware of his lying deceptions in advance, so he hopes people will believe that Revelation is sealed.
B. The very name “Revelation” means “unveiling,” “opening,” or “revealing” the complete opposite of being sealed. It always has been wide open.
C. Revelation is Jesus’ book in a unique way. It begins, “The Revelation of Jesus Christ.” It even gives a word picture of Him in Revelation 1:13-16. No other book of the Bible reveals Jesus and His last-day instructions and plans for His work and His people as does Revelation.
D. Revelation is primarily written for and geared to the people of our day, just before Jesus’ return (Revelation 1:1-3 3:11 22:6, 7, 12, 20).
E. A special blessing is pronounced upon those who read Revelation and heed its counsel (Revelation 1:3 22:7).
F. Revelation describes God’s end-time people and church with startling clarity. It makes the Bible come to life when you see the last-day events depicted in Revelation taking place. It also tells precisely what God’s church must be preaching in the last days (Revelation 14:6-14). This Study Guide will give an overview of that preaching so you will recognize it when you hear it.
Note: Before proceeding further, please open your Bible and read Revelation 14:6-14.
“And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach. … And there followed another angel, saying … . And the third angel followed them, saying … . ” Revelation 14:6-9.
Answer: The word “angel” literally means “messenger,” so it is fitting that God uses three angels to symbolize the preaching of His three-point gospel message for the last days. God uses the symbolism of angels to remind us that supernatural power will accompany
“And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people.” Revelation 14:6.
Answer: The two crucial points are: (1) that it is “the everlasting gospel,” and (2) that it must be preached to every person on earth. The three angels’ messages stress the gospel, which makes it plain that people are saved by faith in -and acceptance of- Jesus Christ alone (Acts 4:12 Mark 10:26, 27). Since no other way to salvation exists, it is evil to claim that there is some other way.
Satan’s counterfeits, while many, include two very effective ones: (1) salvation by works, and (2) salvation in sin. These two counterfeits are uncovered and revealed in the three angels’ messages. Many, without realizing it, have embraced one of these two errors and are trying to build their salvation upon it – an utterly impossible feat. We also must stress that no one is truly preaching the gospel of Jesus for the end time who does not include the three angels’ messages.
5. What solemn statement does the second angel make about Babylon? What does the angel of Revelation 18 command God’s people to do?
6. Against what does the third angel’s message solemnly warn?
7. What four-point description does God give in Revelation 14:12 of His people who accept and follow the three angels’ messages?
8. What happens immediately following the teaching of the three angels’ messages to all people?
9. In 2 Peter 1:12, the apostle speaks of “present truth.” What does he mean?
10. Who does the Bible say will come to give a “present truth” message before the great day of the Lord?
11. What did Elijah do that caused the Lord to focus on him?
12. The Elijah message has a twofold application. It applies to a “present truth” message to prepare people for Jesus’ first advent and a “present truth” message to prepare people for Jesus’ second advent. Who did Jesus say preached the Elijah message to prepare people for His first advent?
13. How do we know the prophecy has a second application to our time just before the second advent?
14. What other wonderful blessing will the preaching of the Elijah (or the three angels’) messages bring?
15. The word “gospel” means “good news.” Do the three angels’ messages of Revelation chapter 14 provide good news?
17. God Drew the Plans (the Sanctuary)
We all know that 4,000 years ago, on the grand summit of Mt. Sinai, God gave Moses the Ten Commandments. But most people don’t know that at the same time, the Lord gave Moses the blueprints for one of the most mysterious structures ever built – the sanctuary. It must have been important, because the Israelites could not enter the Promised Land until it was completed. This unique portable temple represented God’s dwelling place among His people, and its services showed the nation of freed slaves a three-dimensional panorama of the plan of salvation. A careful look into the secrets of the sanctuary will crystallize your understanding of how Jesus saves the lost and leads the church. The sanctuary is also a key to understand several prophecies. This awesome Study Guide lets you explore the sanctuary and discover its hidden meanings. An exciting adventure awaits you!
“And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.” Exodus 25:8.
Answer: The Lord asked Moses to erect a sanctuary, a special building that would serve as a dwelling place for the great God of heaven.
A Brief Description of the Sanctuary
The sanctuary was an elegant, tent-type structure (15′ x 45′ based on an 18-inch cubit) where the supernatural presence of God dwelt and special services were conducted.
The walls were made of upright acacia (wooden) boards, set in silver sockets and overlaid with gold (Exodus 26:15-19, 29). The roof was made of four layers of coverings: linen, goat’s hair, ram’s skin, and badger skin (Exodus 26:1, 6-14). It had two rooms: the holy place and the most holy place. A thick, heavy veil or curtain separated the rooms. The courtyard, the area around the sanctuary, was 75′ x 150′ (Exodus 27:18). It was fenced with fine linen cloth supported by 60 pillars of brass (Exodus 27:9-16).
“Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?” Psalms 77:13.
Answer: God’s way, or plan of salvation, is revealed in the earthly sanctuary. The Bible teaches that everything in the sanctuary or connected with its service was a symbol of something Jesus would do in saving us. This means we cannot fully comprehend the plan of salvation until we understand the symbolism connected with the sanctuary. Thus, the importance of this Study Guide can hardly be overstated.
“Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.” “Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.” Hebrews 8:1, 2, 5.
Answer: The sanctuary blueprints and full specifications for its construction were given to Moses by God. They were a copy of the original sanctuary in heaven, which was the pattern for Moses’ sanctuary.
5. What furniture was in the holy place?
6. What furniture was in the most holy place?
7. What was inside the ark?
8. Why did animals need to be sacrificed in the Old Testament sanctuary services?
9. How were animals sacrificed in the sanctuary service, and with what meaning?
10. When a sacrificial animal was offered for the entire congregation, what did the priest do with the blood? What does this symbolize?
11. Based on the sanctuary services, in what two major capacities does Jesus serve His people? What fantastic benefits do we receive from His loving ministry?
12. What six sublime promises does the Bible give us about the righteousness offered to us through Jesus?
13. Does a person have any role at all to play in becoming righteous by faith?
14. Can you help me understand the day of atonement?
15. Does the day of atonement symbolize or foreshadow a part of God’s great plan of salvation, as did the other facets of the earthly sanctuary and its services?
18. Right on Time! Prophetic Appointments Revealed!
Fasten your seat belt! You’re now going to explore the longest time prophecy in the Bible – a prophecy that perfectly predicted the first coming of Jesus and the time of His death. In Study Guide 16, “Angel Messages from Space,” you learned that God has an extremely important message the world must hear before Christ’s return! The first point commands people to worship God and glorify Him, because the hour of His judgment has arrived(Revelation 14:7). In Daniel 8 and 9, God reveals the date for His final judgment to begin and powerful prophetic clues proving Christ as the Messiah. Thus no prophecy in all of Scripture is more vital – yet few people are aware of it! Others completely misinterpret it. Please read Daniel chapters 8 and 9 before starting this Study Guide, and ask God’s Spirit to guide you in understanding this phenomenal lesson.
“The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.” Daniel 8:20.
Answer: The ram is a symbol of the world kingdom of Medo-Persia, which was also represented by the bear of Daniel 7:5. The prophecies of the Bible books of Daniel and Revelation follow the principle of “repeat and expand,” which means they repeat prophecies covered in earlier chapters of the book and enlarge upon them. This approach brings clarity and certainty to Bible prophecies.
“And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king. Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation.” Daniel 8:21, 22.
Answer: Next in Daniel’s vision, a male goat with one huge horn suddenly appeared, traveling at great speed. He attacked and conquered the ram. Then the great horn was broken off and four horns arose in its place. The rough male goat symbolized the third world kingdom of Greece, and the huge horn symbolized Alexander the Great. The four horns that replaced the great horn represent the four kingdoms into which Alexander’s empire was divided. In Daniel 7:6, these four kingdoms are represented by the four heads of the leopard beast, which also symbolizes Greece. These symbols are so fitting that it is easy to identify them in history.
Answer: The little horn represents Rome. Some have suggested that the little horn represents Antiochus Epiphanes, a Seleucid king who ruled over Palestine in the second century B.C. and who disrupted the Jewish worship services. Others, including most leaders of the Reformation, have believed that the little horn represents Rome in both its pagan and papal forms. Let’s examine the clear Bible evidence for this:
A. In harmony with the prophetic rule of “repeat and expand,” Rome must be the power represented here because both chapters 2 and 7 of Daniel point to Rome as the kingdom that follows Greece. Daniel 7:24-27 also establishes the fact that Rome in its papal form will be succeeded by the kingdom of Christ. The little horn of Daniel chapter 8 fits this pattern exactly: It follows Greece and is finally supernaturally destroyed or “broken without hand” at Jesus’ second coming. (Compare Daniel 8:25 with Daniel 2:34.)
B. Daniel chapter 8 says the Medo-Persians would become “great” (verse 4), the Grecians “very great” (verse 8), and the little horn power “exceeding great” (verse 9). History is clear that no power following Greece became “exceeding great” other than Rome.
C. Rome extended its power to the south (Egypt), the east (Macedonia), and the “pleasant land” (Palestine) precisely as the prophecy predicted (verse 9). No major power other than Rome fits this point.
D. Only Rome stood up against Jesus, “the prince of the host” (verse 11) and “the Prince of princes” (verse 25). Pagan Rome crucified Him. It also destroyed the Jewish temple. And papal Rome effectively caused the heavenly sanctuary to be “cast down” (verse 11) and “trodden under foot” (verse 13) by replacing the essential ministry of Jesus, our High Priest in heaven, with an earthly priesthood which claims to forgive sins. No one but God can forgive sins (Luke 5:21). And Jesus is our only Priest or Mediator (1 Timothy 2:5).
5. What urgent point did the angel Gabriel repeatedly stress?
6. While Daniel was praying, who suddenly touched him and with what message (Daniel 9:21-23)?
7. How much of the 2,300 days would be allotted to (or cut off for) Daniel’s people, the Jews, and their capital city, Jerusalem (Daniel 9:24)?
8. What event and date were to mark the starting point for the 2,300-day and 490-year prophecies (Daniel 9:25)?
9. The angel said that 69 prophetic weeks, or 483 literal years (69 x 7 = 483), added to 457 B.C. would reach to the Messiah (Daniel 9:25). Did it?
10. We have now considered 483 years of the 490-year prophecy. There is one prophetic week, or seven literal years, left (Daniel 9:26, 27). What happens next? When does it happen?
11. Since Jesus died after three and one-half years, how could He “confirm the covenant with many” for the full final seven years, as the prophecy in Daniel 9:27 mandates?
12. When the 490-year period of final opportunity for the Jewish nation ended in the fall of A.D. 34, what did the disciples do?
13. After A.D. 34, how many years of the 2,300-year prophecy remained? What is the ending date for the prophecy? What did the angel say would happen on that date (Daniel 8:14)?
14. Why do some Bible interpreters detach the last week (or seven years) of the 490 years allotted to the Jewish nation and apply it to Antichrist’s work at the end of the world’s history?
19. The Final Judgment
The jury is in, the verdict read … case closed! Few thoughts could be more sobering. The day is fast approaching when every person who has ever lived will have their lives reviewed before the all-knowing eyes of God (2 Corinthians 5:10). But don’t let this alarm you – take heart! Millions have already found the judgment message in this Study Guide to be very good news! On four occasions when the book of Revelation mentions the great judgment, it brings forth praise and thanksgiving! But did you know that the Bible mentions judgment more than a thousand times? Almost every Bible writer refers to it, so its importance cannot be overemphasized. In the next few minutes, you’re going to get a real eye-opener in this neglected subject.
First Phase of the Final Judgement
“Judgment must begin at the house of God.” 1 Peter 4:17. “He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And, behold, I come quickly and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.” Revelation 22:11, 12. (See also 1 Timothy 3:15.)
Answer: It ends just before the second coming of Jesus. Those (living and dead) who claimed to be Christians–“the house of God”–will be considered in the pre-advent judgment. (The 1844 date is established in Study Guide 18.)
“The Ancient of days did sit, … his throne was like the fiery flame.” “The judgment was set, and the books were opened.” Daniel 7:9, 10. “We have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.” 1 John 2:1. “The Father … hath committed all judgment unto the Son.” John 5:22. “The Devil, … the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.” Revelation 12:9, 10. “These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God.” Revelation 3:14. (See also Colossians 1:12-15.)
Answer: God the Father, the Ancient of days, presides in the judgment. He loves you very much (John 16:27). Satan is your only accuser. In the heavenly court, Jesus, who loves you, your best friend will be your attorney, judge, and witness. And He promises that judgment will be “given in favour of the saints.” Daniel 7:22, NEB.*
“The judgment was set, and the books were opened.” Daniel 7:10. “The dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.” Revelation 20:12. “They … shall be judged by the law of liberty.” James 2:12. “We are made a spectacle [theater] unto the world, and to angels, and to men.” 1 Corinthians 4:9.
Answer: Evidence for court comes from books in which all details of one’s life are recorded. For the faithful, the record of prayer, repentance, and forgiveness of sin will be there for all to see. The records will prove that God’s power enables Christians to live changed lives. God is pleased with His saints and will delight in sharing the evidence of their lives. The judgment will confirm that there is “no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Romans 8:1.
The Ten-Commandment law is God’s standard in the judgment (James 2:10-12). Breaking His law is sin (1 John 3:4). The righteousness of the law will be fulfilled by Jesus in all of His people (Romans 8:3, 4). To claim that this is impossible is to doubt Jesus’ word and His power.
The judgment is not to inform God. He is already fully informed (2 Timothy 2:19). However, the redeemed people will be coming to heaven from a world that has been degraded by sin. Both the angels and the inhabitants of other unfallen worlds would certainly feel uneasy about admitting anyone to God’s heavenly kingdom who might start sin all over again. Thus, the judgment will open to them every detail and answer every question. Satan’s real aim has always been to discredit God as unfair, ruthless, unloving, and untruthful. This makes it even more important for all beings in the universe to see firsthand how extremely patient God has been with sinners. The vindication of God’s character is the prime purpose of the judgment (Revelation 11:16-19 15:2-4 16:5, 7 19:1, 2 Daniel 4:36, 37). Note that the praise and glory are given to God for the way He handles the judgment.
5. What group is involved in the heavenly judgment during the 1,000 years of Revelation chapter 20? What is the purpose of this second phase of the judgment?
6. When and where will the third phase of the final judgment take place? What new group will be present at this phase of judgment?
7. What happens next?
8. What interrupts their battle plan, and with what results?
9. What final steps will eradicate sin from the universe and provide a secure home and future for the righteous?
10. How did the “day of atonement” service in the Old Testament earthly sanctuary symbolize the judgment and God’s plan to eradicate sin from the universe and restore perfect harmony?
11. What is the good news about the judgment as revealed in this Study Guide and listed below?
20. The Mark of the Beast
A tattooed number, a computer chip under the skin, or something more subtle? It’s one of the most misinterpreted prophecies in all of the Bible – yet it is so important to correctly understand this subject. But in studying the mark of the beast, we must address some very sensitive issues, naming names and being specific. This is not a popular thing today, but we must be firm because God loves His people and He wants them to know the truth. This message is not ours, but Jesus’. And with eternal death facing those who receive the mark, it would be a crime to not help Him deliver this message. This lesson should probably be prefaced with a warning: “THE DEVIL DOES NOT WANT YOU TO READ AND COMPLETE THIS STUDY GUIDE.” Please read Revelation 13:1-8, 14:9-12, and 16-18, and pray for the Holy Spirit to grant you an honest and understanding heart before embarking on this study adventure.
An Urgent Reminder
We learned from Study Guide 2 that a terrible conflict is in progress between God and the devil. It has raged through the centuries since Lucifer, heaven’s most powerful angel, rebelled against God. With the angels who joined him, he attempted to overcome God and seize control of the universe. God and the loyal angels had no choice but to eject Lucifer and his angels from heaven. Lucifer, who became known as the devil and Satan, was infuriated. His determination to destroy God and control the universe has grown with every passing year. Amazingly, he has won the support of the vast majority of earth’s people in his rebellion. The Lord also asks for people’s loyalty and support, but He leaves all free to choose. Soon every person on earth will have aligned with either Satan or God. The final battle between Satan and God is just ahead, and it is described in the book of Revelation. This book points out that God has an emblem, or mark, which will identify His people. Satan also has an emblem, or mark, that will identify those who support him. As usual, Satan will work through an earthly power symbolized in Revelation by a beast to impose his mark. This Study Guide will reveal the beast’s mark, which every lost person of the end time will receive. Unless you know what his “mark” is, how will you avoid receiving it?
Answer: Revelation 13:1-8, 16-18 provides 11 identifying characteristics. They are listed below:
A. Rises from sea (verse 1).
B. Composite of the four beasts of Daniel chapter 7 (verse 2).
C. Dragon gives it power and authority (verse 2).
D. Receives a deadly wound (verse 3).
E. Deadly wound healed (verse 3).
F. Strong political power (verses 3, 7).
G. Strong religious power (verses 3, 8).
H. Guilty of blasphemy (verses 1, 5, 6).
I. Wars with and overcomes the saints (verse 7).
J. Rules for 42 months (verse 5).
K. Has mysterious number 666 (verse 18).
Do some of these points have a familiar ring? Certainly! We encountered many of them earlier when we studied about the Antichrist in Daniel chapter 7. The “beast” of Revelation 13 is simply another name for the “Antichrist,” which we learned from Daniel 7 is the papacy.
Prophecies of Daniel and Revelation often cover the same ground as prior prophecies, but each time new features are added that help make the prophecies certain. So expect to learn some new things about the Antichrist from this Study Guide. Now let’s consider, one by one, the 11 points that describe the beast.
3. What does the papacy say is her symbol, or mark, of authority?
4. Did God predict such a change in Scripture?
5. How could anyone dare attempt to change God’s holy day?
6. What solemn warnings has God given regarding His law and His sign, or mark?
7. Revelation 13:16 says people will receive the mark of the beast in the forehead or in the hand. What does this mean?
8. According to Isaiah 58:1, 13, 14, what decisive message does God deliver to His people in the last days?
9. Do people who worship on Sunday (as a holy day) have the mark of the beast now?
10. According to the book of Revelation, whom did John specifically see in God’s eternal kingdom?
11. What is Jesus saying to people today?
21. The USA in Bible Prophecy
Can it really be true? America in Bible prophecy – absolutely! When you think about it, it makes sense that the most powerful and influential nation on earth will play a vital role in the final stunning events of the world’s closing history. But even more surprises await you as the Bible reveals how the leading nation of the world came to exist and why! Please read Revelation 13:11-18 before beginning this guide, because these eight verses give a prophetic picture of America in the days ahead.
Answer: The beast with seven heads (Revelation 13:1-10) is none other than the Roman papacy.
(See Study Guide 15 for a complete study on this topic.) Remember that beasts in Bible prophecy symbolize nations or world powers (Daniel 7:17, 23).
“Power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.” Revelation 13:5.
Answer: The Bible predicted that the papacy would lose its world influence and power at the end of the 42 months. This prophecy was fulfilled in 1798, when Napoleon’s General Berthier took the pope captive and the papal power received its deadly wound. (For the full details, see Study Guide 15.)
“And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.” Revelation 13:11.
Answer: The papal captivity mentioned in verse 10 took place in 1798, and the new power (verse 11) was seen emerging at that time. The United States declared its independence in 1776, voted the Constitution in 1787, adopted the Bill of Rights in 1791, and was clearly recognized as a world power by 1798. The timing obviously fits America. No other power could possibly qualify.
5. What is symbolized by its two lamb-like horns and absence of crowns?
6. What does it mean when the prophecy in Revelation 13:11 says America will speak “as a dragon”?
7. What specifically will America do that will cause it to speak as a dragon?
8. Over what specific issues will force be utilized and the death sentence passed?
9. Could a government really control buying and selling?
10. How strong and influential is the papacy today?
11. How strong and influential is the United States today?
12. It is clear that the influence and power of both the United States and the papacy are escalating with rapidity. What other factors could possibly help set the stage for a worldwide law to execute those who refuse to violate conscience?
13. As world conditions worsen, what will Satan do to deceive the masses?
14. While interest in the counterfeit revival heightens, what will be happening to the genuine worldwide revival sponsored by God’s end-time people?
15. In desperation, the U.S.-led coalition will next decide to impose the death sentence on its enemies (Revelation 13:15). What does Revelation 13:13, 14 say its leaders will do to convince people that God is with them?
16. How can we be safe from powerful end-time deceptions?
22. The Other Woman
Every marriage must rely on trust – and likewise in our union with Christ, we must remain faithful to Him and His Word. Revelation speaks about the true bride of Christ, but there is another woman who is trying to seduce believers away from God’s Word. Revelation contains a shocking message about Babylon, the other woman. Babylon is fallen, and Christ’s people must escape her charms or perish! Thus begins the second part of the three angels’ message. Here you will learn the very real identity of spiritual Babylon and learn how to avoid being hypnotized by her fatal beauty … what could be more important?
“I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters.” “And I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.” Revelation 17:1, 3-5.
In Revelation 17:1-6, Jesus symbolizes Babylon as a harlot dressed in red and purple. She is seated upon a scarlet-colored beast, which has seven heads and 10 horns and sits on many waters.
Answer: A pure woman, clothed with the sun, is depicted in Revelation 12:1-6. We learned in Study Guide 20 that this pure woman symbolizes God’s pure church which is faithful to her lover, Jesus. We will study Revelation chapter 12 in depth in Study Guide 23.
“Cause Jerusalem to know her abominations.” “Thou didst trust in thine own beauty, and playedst the harlot.” Ezekiel 16:2, 15.
Answer: As a pure woman symbolizes a pure church which is faithful to Jesus, so an impure woman represents an impure, or fallen, church which is unfaithful to Jesus (James 4:4).
5. What is the literal meaning of the word “Babylon,” and what is its origin?
6. Who are the harlot daughters of the mother Babylon described in Revelation 17:5?
7. In Revelation 17, why is mother Babylon pictured as riding upon the beast? What does the beast represent?
8. What other powers unite with the papacy in fulfilling end-time events?
9. How will organizations with such diverse backgrounds be able to effectively unite?
10. For what sins does God indict Babylon?
11. What are some of the false teachings contained in Babylon’s wine that make people spiritually drunk and confused?
12. Who will be on the Lord’s side in the battle of Armageddon?
13. What will be Satan’s strategy in this final conflict between God’s truth and Satan’s lies?
14. What is God’s counter-strategy?
15. Will God’s end-time messages of warning and hope be effective?
16. What final, urgent appeal will Jesus make to those who are in Babylon?
17. How will Jesus’ people, who are in Babylon, respond when they hear His appeal to come out?
18. If you are in Babylon, are you willing to heed Jesus’ urgent appeal to come out of her?
23. The Bride of Christ
The Bible says there is but one body, or church, into which Jesus calls His end-time people – the bride of Christ. To some, this is unnerving, as there are thousands of different churches today that call themselves Christian. Virtually every one claims to be God’s church, yet they each differ widely in biblical interpretation, faith, and practice. It’s quite impossible for the honest seeker of truth to investigate the claims of each one. However, we can be thankful that Jesus has solved this dilemma for us by describing His church in such detail that you can easily identify it! That description, vivid and powerful, is found in Revelation 12 and 14, and it will thrill you with amazing truths that will help you in the end times. Please read Revelation 12:1-17 before beginning your journey of discovery into these transforming truths.
“I have likened the daughter of Zion to a comely and delicate woman.” Jeremiah 6:2. “And say unto Zion, Thou art my people.” Isaiah 51:16.
Answer: We learned in Study Guide 22 that Jesus symbolizes His true, pure church (Zion) as a pure woman and an apostate church as a harlot. A few other texts which also utilize this symbolism are 2 Corinthians 11:2 Ephesians 5:22, 23 and Revelation 19:7, 8.
Answer: A. The sun represents Jesus, His gospel, and His righteousness. “The Lord God is a sun.” Psalms 84:11. (See also Malachi 4:2.) Without Jesus there is no salvation (Acts 4:12). More than anything else, Jesus wants His church to overflow with His presence and glory.
B. “The moon under her feet” represents the sacrificial system of the Old Testament. As the moon reflects the light of the sun, so the sacrificial system was helpful spiritually only as it reflected light from the Messiah to come (Hebrews 10:1).
C. The “crown of twelve stars” represents the work of the 12 disciples, which crowned the early years of the New Testament church.
Answer: The baby was Jesus. He will one day rule all nations with a rod of iron (Revelation 19:13-16; Psalms 2:7-9). Jesus, who was crucified for our sins, was raised from the dead and ascended to heaven (Acts 1:9-11). His resurrection power in our lives is one of Jesus’ essential gifts to His people (Philippians 3:10).
5. What is the meaning of the “seven heads” and “ten horns” of the dragon, and of “the third part of the stars of heaven” being cast to the earth?
6. What did Satan do after he failed in his plan to destroy baby Jesus?
7. What did the woman (church) do to protect herself, and what is the “wilderness” spoken of in Revelation 12:6, 14?
8. In Revelation 12:17, God calls His end-time church the remnant. What does the word “remnant” mean?
9. In Revelation 12:17, what additional two-point description did Jesus give of His end-time remnant church?
10. What final two points of identification for God’s remnant does the book of Revelation provide?
11. Now that we have established Jesus’ six identification points for His end-time remnant church, what does Jesus tell us to do, and with what results?
12. How many churches fit these six specifications?
13. After one of Jesus’ children heeds His loving warning call and comes out of Babylon (Revelation 18:2, 4), what does Jesus ask him to do next?
14. How does one enter that body, or church?
15. Does the Bible provide other evidence that Jesus has only one remnant church into which He is calling all of His people?
16. What is the good news regarding God’s remnant church?
17. What is the good news regarding God’s remnant people?
18. Earth’s hour is very late. Jesus’ second coming immediately follows the giving of the three angels’ messages (Revelation 14:12-14). What is Jesus’ urgent plea now to His people?
24. Does God Inspire Astrologers and Psychics? (The Gift of Prophecy)
If some self-proclaimed prophet suddenly arose and began drawing crowds with stirring messages, healing the sick, raising the dead, bringing fire from heaven, and revealing knowledge of your personal secrets – would you believe in him or her? Should you believe? Your ultimate destiny just might be tied directly to your ability to distinguish between true and false prophets. So it’s very important to know what the Bible really says about this timely subject!
“In the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy.” Acts 2:17.
Answer: Yes, both men and women will prophesy in the last days (Joel 2:28-32).
“For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.” Ephesians 4:12.
Answer: Jesus gave all five gifts for the perfecting of the saints. The perfecting of God’s end-time church is not possible if any of these five gifts is missing.
Answer: No! In addition to many men who had the gift of prophecy, God also gave the gift to at least eight women: Anna (Luke 2:36-38); Miriam (Exodus 15:20); Deborah (Judges 4:4); Huldah (2 Kings 22:14); and the four daughters of Philip, an evangelist (Acts 21:8, 9).
5. From what source do true prophets obtain their information?
6. God speaks to prophets in three different ways. What are these ways?
7. What are the physical evidences of a true prophet in vision?
8. Is the working of great miracles proof that a prophet is of God?
9. Of what perilous end-time danger does Jesus warn us?
10. How can I determine whether a prophet is true or false?
11. Are certain types of false prophets specifically named and condemned in the Bible?
12. Is a true prophet’s work primarily to serve the church or to serve unbelievers?
13. Does God’s end-time church have the gift of prophecy?
14. When you join God’s end-time church, which has all of the gifts, how will it affect you?
15. The apostle Paul, in 1 Corinthians 12:1-18, likens the gifts that Jesus gave the church to parts of the body. What part of the body best represents the gift of prophecy?
16. Since prophecy is the eyes of the church, a church without the gift of prophecy would be in what condition?
17. Must God’s remnant church have all the gifts that Christ gave?
18. Revelation 12:17 points out that God’s end-time remnant church will “have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” Revelation 19:10 says that “the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” Can we be sure this means that the church will have a prophet?
19. Of what other special significance are the words “the testimony of Jesus”?
20. What are the Bible qualifications for a true prophet?
21. Did God send a prophet to His end-time remnant church?
22. Did Ellen White have visions?
23. Are Ellen White’s words intended to be part of the Bible, or an addition to the Bible?
24. Does Ellen White speak in harmony with the Scriptures?
25. How can I accept Ellen White as a true prophet, since I do not know what she wrote?
26. What three-point command does Paul give us regarding a prophet?
27. How does Jesus regard the rejection of the words and counsel of a true prophet?
28. Do true end-time prophets originate new doctrine, or does doctrine come strictly from the Bible?
25. In God we Trust (Tithe)
Do you trust God… really? The truth is, a lot of people might say yes, but they don’t act like it. And worse, because they don’t trust Him, they might actually steal from Him! “Come on!” you say, “No one would steal or embezzle money from God.” But God’s shocking message to His people is, “Ye have robbed me” (Malachi 3:8). Real records prove that billions of people steal from God, and as amazing as it may seem, they use that stolen money to subsidize their own reckless spending! Yet many are unaware of their larceny, and in this Study Guide, we’ll show you how to avoid that same mistake and how to prosper financially through real faith in God.
“And all the tithe of the land … is the Lord’s.” Leviticus 27:30.
Answer: The tithe belongs to God.
“I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance.” “The tithes of the children of Israel … I have given to the Levites to inherit.” Numbers 18:21, 24.
Answer: The tithe is one-tenth of a person’s income. The word “tithe” literally means “tenth.” The tithe belongs to God. It is His. I have no right to keep it. When I tithe, I am not making a gift; I am simply returning to God what is already His. Unless I am returning one-tenth of my income to God, I am not tithing.
“Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse.” Malachi 3:10.
Answer: He asks us to bring the tithe into His storehouse.
5. Some have thought that tithing was part of Moses’ system of rites and ceremonies that ended at the cross. How does the Bible help us understand that this is not so?
6. But didn’t Jesus abolish the plan of tithing?
7. For what was tithe used in Old Testament days?
8. Did God change His plan for tithe usage in New Testament days?
9. What startling proposal does God make to people who feel uncertain about tithing?
10. When we tithe, who really receives our money?
11. What test did Adam and Eve fail, which all of us must pass if we would inherit His heavenly kingdom?
12. In addition to the tithe, which belongs to God, what else does God ask of His people?
13. How much shall I give to God as offerings?
14. What additional Bible principles does God share with us regarding giving?
15. What does the Lord own?
16. How does the Lord refer to people who do not return His 10 percent and give offerings?
26. A Love that Transforms
Being in love changes everything. For instance, a young lady was reading a large book for her university’s English literature course. She found the whole thing very boring and could barely stay focused when reading it. But then she met a striking young professor on campus, and they quickly fell in love. Soon after, she realized her beloved was the author of the book she had struggled with. That night she stayed up and devoured the entire book exclaiming, “This is the best book I have ever read!” What changed her perspective? Love did. Likewise, many today find Scripture boring, oppressive, and unappealing. But that all changes when you fall in love with the author. See how in this heart-warming Study Guide!
“The prophets have enquired and searched diligently, … Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.” 1 Peter 1:10, 11.
Answer: The God of the Bible (even the Old Testament) is virtually always Jesus Christ. Jesus created the world (John 1:1-3, 14 Colossians 1:13-17), wrote the Ten Commandments (Nehemiah 9:6, 13), was the God of the Israelites (1 Corinthians 10:1-4), and guided the writings of the prophets (1 Peter 1:10, 11).
So, Jesus Christ is the author of Scripture.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16.
Answer: Jesus loves us all with an indescribable, unfailing love that passes understanding.
“We love him, because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19. “While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8.
Answer: We should love Him because He loved us enough to die for us–while we were yet His enemies.
5. What does Jesus say are the results of doing the things that please Him?
6. Why does Jesus give us specific principles for Christian living?
7. According to Jesus, how should Christians relate to the evil of the world and to worldliness?
8. What urgent warning does God give us regarding the world?
9. Why do we need to guard our thoughts?
10. What are some principles for Christian living?
11. What clear-cut list does Jesus give us that we could use as a guide for watching television?
12. In this day of determined, independent thinking, many feel totally capable of making spiritual decisions without input from anyone, including Jesus. What does Jesus say about such people?
13. What solemn warnings does Jesus give us about the example and influence of our lives?
14. What are Jesus’ principles of conduct regarding clothing and jewelry?
15. How do conduct and obedience relate to salvation?
16. Should we expect everyone to look with favor upon the Christian lifestyle?
17. How would a person who rejects Jesus’ standards for Christian conduct view heaven?
18. How can I adopt and follow these Bible guidelines without appearing pharisaical, judgmental, or legalistic?
27. No Turning Back (Commitment)
When a skydiver steps to the edge of the aircraft door and leaps away from the plane, he knows there is no turning back. He’s gone too far, and if he should forget to strap on his parachute, nothing can save him and he will certainly plummet to a frightening death. What a tragedy! But there is something even worse that can happen to a person. Indeed, it is far worse to come to the point of no return in your relationship with God. Yet millions are approaching this point and have no idea! Is it possible that you are one of them? What is the awful sin that could lead to such a fate? Why can’t God forgive it? For a clear and penetrating answer, yet also full of hope, take a few minutes with this fascinating Study Guide.
“All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.” Matthew 12:31.
Answer: The sin God cannot forgive is “blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.” But what is “blasphemy against the Holy Ghost”? People have many differing beliefs about this sin. Some believe it is murder; some, cursing the Holy Ghost; some, committing suicide; some, killing an unborn child; some, denial of Christ; some, a heinous, horrible, extremely wicked act; and others, worshipping a false god! The next question will shed some helpful light on this crucial matter.
“All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men.” Matthew 12:31.
Answer: The Bible clearly says that all kinds of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven. So none of the sins listed in the previous answer is the sin that God cannot forgive. No single act of any kind is the unpardonable sin.
Yes, it sounds contradictory, but both of the following statements are true:
A. Any and every kind of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven.
B. The blasphemy or sin against the Holy Ghost will not be forgiven.
Jesus made both statements in Matthew 12:31, so there is no error here. To harmonize the statements we must discover the work of the Holy Ghost. By the way, the word “ghost” comes from “ghast”, the Old English word for “spirit”.
“He [the Holy Spirit] will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.” “He will guide you into all truth.” John 16:8, 13, NKJV.*
Answer: The work of the Holy Spirit is to convict me of sin and to guide me into all truth. The Holy Spirit is God’s agency for conversion. Without the Holy Spirit, no one feels sorrow for sin, nor is anyone ever converted.
*The Holy Bible, New King James Version, (C) 1979, 1980, 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission.
5. What happens if I do not confess my sins when convicted by the Holy Spirit?
6. What solemn warning does God give about the pleading of His Holy Spirit?
7. At what point does the Holy Spirit stop pleading with a person?
8. God, through His Holy Spirit, brings light (John 1:9) and conviction (John 16:8) to every person on Earth. What must I do when I receive light from the Holy Spirit?
9. Can any sin become the sin against the Holy Spirit?
10. After King David had committed a terrible double sin of adultery and murder, what anguished prayer did he pray?
11. What serious, weighty command did Paul give to the church in Thessalonica?
12. What other shocking, almost inconceivable statement did Paul make to the Thessalonian believers?
13. What wrenching experience will some who have been sent these strong delusions face in the judgment day?
14. What special words of warning does Jesus give to help us avoid believing we are saved when we are actually lost?
15. What is God’s blessed promise to His faithful followers who crown Him Lord of their lives?
16. What additional glorious promise does Jesus make to us all?